Manitoba’s Disabilities Issues Office (DIO) supports The Accessibility for Manitobans Act with a variety of tools to help expand knowledge and action on accessibility.
The Accessibility Standard for Customer Service requires policies and training to provide services in an efficient, fair and respectful manner. The deadline for non-profits to comply is November 2018. The word “customer” means persons who are involved in your organization, including learners, participants, clients, etc.
Accessibility for Manitobans Act Tools
- Introducing Manitoba’s Accessibility Standard for Customer Service (PDF) (Word)
- Accessibility Standard for Customer Service: Consumer Guide
- Customer Service Handbook for Employers (PDF) (Word) – Useful in orienting managers to their responsibilities
- Customer Service Tips for Employees (PDF) (Word) – Useful in orienting staff to their responsibilities
- Sample policies for accessible customer service
Other Accessibility Tools
- Words with Dignity (PDF)
- Print Communication Checklist (Word)
- On-line training from Communications Disability Access Canada
- Event Planning Checklist (Word)
On January 29th, 2018, Patricia Knipe of the Disability Issues Office gave a webinar to MANSO member organization on the Accessibility for Manitobans Act.