List of Resources: Support for the Ukrainian Community in Canada

Last updated: January 24, 2023

Below is a list of resources that MANSO has compiled to keep you informed of the current situation.

Page Contents

Operation Ukrainian Safe Haven Information, Resources, and Updates

Welcome Package for Ukrainian Arrivals

When you first arrive in Canada, there is a lot to do, but there is also a lot of help available. The Welcome Package below proposes a list of things newcomers can do before arrival and during your first days in Canada:

Frequently Asked Questions

The following FAQ is managed and updated by CISSA-ACSEI as part of the Ukrainian Safe Haven website. It provides information relevant to Ukrainians settling anywhere in Canada.

Ways to get involved

“Operation Ukrainian Safe Haven” is funded by IRCC. Learn more about how you can help at . This is a centralized hub where Canadians can share offers of housing or employment, donate money or goods and services, or sign u up to volunteer.

  • Offers will be matched appropriately with provincial coordination hubs within each province.


Federal information, resources, and updates

Current information on measures

Visit IRCC’s immigration measures for people affected by the situation in Ukraine page for updates, resources and contact information, including:

  1. Contacting IRCC about the situation in Ukraine
  2. Status of IRCC’s offices overseas
  3. If you have immediate family in Ukraine
  4. Find useful information and resources if you are in Ukraine or if you are in Canada
  5. What happens next

CUAET (Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel visa) and other immigration and travel updates

Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel

The Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel is open as of March 17, 2022. Click here to learn more.

Medical exam

The federal government is waiving the pre-arrival immigration medical exam requirement for CUAET visa holders until 90 days after they arrive in Canada. If you need a medical exam to remove restrictions on your open work permit:

  • There is no cost for the exam in Manitoba.
  • You will need to present your Ukrainian ID, your CUAET visa and a Manitoba health card at the time of appointment. The nine-digit health number provided by Manitoba Health may be used if you do not have your physical health card.

Scroll down to “Open work permits for Ukrainians” to learn more about the medical exam.

Ukrainian settlement: Travelling to and settling in Canada

Visit this page to prepare before you travel to Canada, to learn more about your arrival at a Canadian airport, and to know where to find resources once you have landed, by province.

  • Are you in Warsaw? Click here to learn more about the Canada Information Centre (CI Centre) in Warsaw, Poland.

Ukrainian nationals already in Canada

Ukrainian nationals who arrived in Canada under a different status (for example, as visitors) can apply for a visa inside Canada but you need to meet certain criteria. For more details, click on this link: Visitor visas for workers and students: How to apply from inside Canada

New immigration streams for Ukrainian nationals

On March 3, 2022, IRCC issued a news release announcing the following new immigration streams for Ukrainian nationals who want to come to Canada temporarily or permanently:

  • Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET), available for all Ukrainian nationals wishing to come to Canada temporarily.
  • Special family reunification sponsorship pathway for permanent residence, for Ukrainian nationals who are immediate and extended family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

Visit IRCC’s website for regular updates.

Open work permits for Ukrainians

If you did not request a work permit when applying for a CUAET, or if you have questions about your current open work permit, click here to learn more.

  • Removing medical exemptions: Click here to learn how to arrange for a medical exam, to remove medical restrictions on your work permit
  • If you need help, click here to use a web form, or call +1-613-321-4243

Studying in Canada as a CUAET visa holder

CUAET visa holders who wish to pursue studies, and whose CUAET visa has a condition that states they cannot study, must obtain a study permit. You can hold both permits at once in Canada.

  • Click here to learn how to apply for a study permit, and to learn more about having a work permit and a study permit at the same time.

Settlement services for Ukrainian nationals

On March 30, 2022, Minister Sean Fraser announced that key settlement services will be available to Ukrainian nationals, including:

  • language training
  • information about and orientation to life in Canada, such as help with enrolling children in school
  • information and services to help access the labour market, including mentoring, networking, counselling, skills development and training
  • activities that promote connections with communities
  • assessments of other needs Ukrainians may have and referrals to appropriate agencies
  • services targeted to the needs of women, seniors, youth and LGBTQ2+ persons
  • other settlement supports available through the Settlement Program

Please refer to 3. Settlement services and support for list of free settlement services in Manitoba.

Welcome to Canada – Ukrainians coming to Canada

IRCC developed this portal, which includes detailed information and resources translated to Ukrainian on the following:

Webinar: CUAET Visa and Financial Support for Ukrainians Arriving in Canada

Click here to watch the recording in English of the webinar “CUAET Visa and Financial Support for Ukrainians Arriving in Canada”, hosted by OCASI and presented by IRCC and Service Canada. Cliquez ici pour l’interprétation en français de ce webinaire.

Emergency IRCC contact information for current applicants

  • (updated March 3, 2022) IRCC established a dedicated service channel for Ukraine immigration enquiries available for clients both in Canada and abroad at 613-321-4243, with collect calls accepted. Clients can add the keyword “Ukraine2022” to the IRCC crisis web form with their enquiry and it will be prioritized.

Emergency contact information for Canadians in Ukraine (not related to immigration)

Anyone in need of help can call the government’s 24/7 Emergency Watch and Response Centre, based in Ottawa. The centre can be reached:

  • By telephone at 1-613-996-8885
  • By email at
  • By text message at 1-613-686-3658

Canada Revenue Agency Resources

The following factsheet explains some federal benefits that Ukrainian nationals might be entitled to, after they arrive in Canada:

Income Taxes

Filing your taxes with the federal government may allow you to apply for other financial benefits. You can file your own taxes electronically or by paper. You may also hire a representative to files your taxes on your behalf or visit a community volunteer tax clinic. To learn more about filing your 2022 taxes, please click here or review the Newcomers to Canada 2021 pamphlet.

GST/HST Credit

The GST/HST credit is a non-taxable amount paid four times a year to individuals and families with low and modest incomes to help offset the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) that they pay.

You are generally eligible for the GST/HST credit if you are considered a Canadian resident for income tax purposes the month before and at the beginning of the month in which the Canada Revenue Agency makes a payment.

If you have children use the RC66 form and the RC66SCH form. If you do not have children use the RC151 form.

For information on the GST credit click here. To speak to someone directly, contact the Benefit Enquiries at 1-800-387-1193.Canada Child Benefit (CCB)

Canada Child Benefit (CCB)

If someone arrives in Canada with children, regardless of Citizenship status, they should complete the RC66 form and the RC66SCH form to register their children with the Canada Revenue Agency.

Even if they are not eligible to claim the Canada Child Benefit (CCB), due to citizenship status, they will be able to receive the correct amount of GST and Climate Action Incentive Payment (CAIP) based on their family structure and income levels.

For any questions related to benefits please contact the Benefits Enquiry Line at 1-800-387-1193.

Service Canada Resources

Service Canada’s Welcome to Canada guide was prepared to provide newly-arrived Ukrainians with essential information necessary during their first days in Canada. It is available in three languages:

Click here to see a guide by Service Canada on how to access financial assistance and related services for Ukrainian arrivals.

Financial Assistance

Click here to learn more about the one-time, non-taxable benefit provided by the Federal Government to Ukrainian families who are in Canada under the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel (CUAET)

Factsheets: Canada-Ukraine Transitional Financial Assistance

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Social Insurance Numbers are issued to temporary residents with a work permit or study permit, as well as permanent residents and Canadian citizens.

The following factsheet explains how to protect your SIN in various languages:

Other resources in Ukrainian

The Government of Canada translated to Ukrainian the press release regarding support of Ukrainian Nationals, the backgrounder on the Canadian-Ukrainian Emergency Travel Permit, and a backgrounder on additional immigration support for victims of the situation in Ukraine:


Provincial information, resources and updates

Welcome Package for Ukrainian Arrivals

The Government of Manitoba has created a Welcome Package to help guide Ukrainian arrivals in the first 30 days of settling in Manitoba. It is available in Ukrainian and English.

Manitoba for Ukraine – resources by the Manitoba Government

The Government of Manitoba created the website with information on what the Province is doing, and how to immigrate through the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program.

Temporary Assistance Program (TAP)

Click here and scroll down to Temporary Assistance Program (TAP) to learn more about the monthly income provided by the Province to Ukrainian arrivals for basic needs, which supports the transition from temporary accommodations to permanent housing.

  • Further information on eligibility details and the application process is available at 204-945-5324 or

TAP requirements and documents checklist:

Click here to watch the recording of the TAP information session held on July 14, 2022, presented by Erin Whittaker of the Province of Manitoba.
Disclaimer: The information presented at this session is subject to changes by the Province of Manitoba. Please visit for the most up-to-date information on TAP

Information on Healthcare Access for Ukrainians

Manitoba Health Card

Manitoba Health issues a card (or registration certificate) to all Manitoba residents, which includes a 9-digit lifetime identification number for each family member. Ukrainians travelling to Manitoba under the federal program, Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET), are eligible for health care coverage as of the date they arrive in Manitoba.

Resources for Ukrainian Arrivals

The Province of Manitoba has shared a document outlining health services CUAET visa holders are eligible for. Access it here.

(new!) Newcomers can attend a virtual session on MS Teams (Wednesdays at 2-3pm) to learn about health care in Manitoba and ask questions. Ukrainian interpretation is available. See Health Care in Manitoba or Click here to join the meeting.

Below you can download a WRHA info sheet with various Winnipeg-based health resources and contacts for Ukrainians. These include mental health resources and access to interpreters when requesting health services:

Resources for Health Providers

Shared Health created this page with relevant health-related resources, links and contact information for health providers serving Ukrainian arrivals.

Resources for Parents

Newcomer Parent Guides for schools

The Province prepared school guides in English, Ukrainian, Russian, and French for newcomer parents of school-aged children:

Manitoba School System & Registration Process

MANSO, NEEDS, UCC and Immigrant Centre recently hosted an information session on the Manitoba School System & Registration Process, with Ukrainian interpretation, which was recorded here.

Child care subsidy

All refugees and Ukrainian temporary residents in Manitoba are eligible for a child care subsidy for their first six months of child care. Please visit the Reception Centre for a subsidy form, or reach out to (204) 945-8195 (Monday to Friday, 8:30 – 4:30) or to

Manitoba Hydro Information

New Journey Housing has created a Ukrainian language video to assist newcomers needing to set up a new account with Manitoba Hydro, and how to waive the connection fee.


Settlement services and support

Ukrainian Reception Centre

The Ukrainian Reception Centre is a one-stop service shop where Ukrainian arrivals can access a variety of government and settlement services in one location, including free temporary accommodation and meals if required.

Services at the main Ukrainian Reception Centre at the Best Western Hotel:

  • Manitoba Health – health card registration
  • Public Health – health needs
  • Service Canada – SIN, access to benefits
  • Ukrainian Canadian Congress – Manitoba Provincial Council
  • NEEDS Inc. – youth programming and supports
  • Manitoba Government Immigration Pathways – immigration information
  • Immigrant Centre – informational workshops

Services at the Settlement Services Hub at the Hilton Hotel:

  • Manitoba Start – needs assessment and referral
  • Immigrant Centre – general settlement services
  • (new!) New Journey Housing – housing workshops

All services except workshops, require an appointment. To make an appointment, please visit to scan the QR code, or visit, call 2-1-1 or visit the main Reception Centre site at 1715 Wellington Avenue.

Please see the following links to see what’s available at each of the two sites, hours of operation for each service provider, and how to register for appointments:

Housing Support in Winnipeg

New Journey Housing is a Winnipeg-based agency that helps newcomers find housing. To book an appointment with New Journey Housing, please visit to scan the QR code, or visit, call 2-1-1 or visit the main Reception Centre site at 1715 Wellington Avenue.

New Journey Housing is located at 200-305 Broadway, and can also be reached by phone at 204-942-2238.

New Journey Housing also hosts informational workshops on housing-related topics. Click here to visit their website and learn more about upcoming virtual and in-person sessions.

Settling in Rural Manitoba

Welcome Place provides support and information to newcomers interested in moving to rural Manitoba. Weekly infosessions for Ukrainian newcomers on communities and employment opportunities outside Winnipeg, will be held at Welcome Place’s main office at 521 Bannatyne Ave. Infosessions are held on Tuesdays from 9:30 am – 12 pm, and Thursdays from 2 – 5 pm. For more information and to register, please visit the Welcome Place website.

Needs assessments, referrals, and other services

Manitoba Start provides central registration services and Needs and Assets Assessment and Referral Services (NAARS) for all newcomers arriving to facilitate awareness of settlement supports, linking to language training, the workforce and longer-term settlement needs.

  • Click here to learn how to register for services with Manitoba Start
  • Click here to visit the website Welcome to Winnipeg (Winnipeg Settlement & Orientation)
  • Click here to watch the video “Winnipeg Introduction for Newcomers” in Ukrainian
  • Click here to watch the Manitoba Start’s WIN Settlement Guide in Ukrainian

Settlement agencies offer free services to newcomers in Manitoba, to support them in their settlement and integration process. To find a service provider near you, you can:

  • Click here to find free IRCC-funded newcomer services near you (website maintained by IRCC)
  • Click here to find MANSO member agencies providing free settlement services in Manitoba
  • Click here to find MANSO member agencies providing free employment search support in Manitoba
  • For any other free services offered by MANSO members, click here and then filter by type of service offered, using the “Website category” drop-down menu under the Search section on the right.

Mental Health resources:

Ukrainian Arrivals Mental Health Response

  • Click on this poster to learn how to access services and resources for Ukrainian arrivals in need of mental health and substance use support.
  • A flyer is available in English and Ukrainian.
  • To refer someone to Ukraine Mental Health Response services, download this form, fill it out, and fax it to 1-431-478-0275.
  • For more information or to refer yourself to the program, call 1-431-489-1728 or email

Other resources and supports

  • Contact Klinic for free, confidential counselling and 24/7 support and referrals for anyone experiencing a crisis – 204-786-8686 / 1-888-322-3019
  • Children and youth can call the Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868; it is available 24/7 in English, French, Ukrainian, Russian, Pashto, Dari, Mandarin and Arabic.
  • Anyone feeling increased anxiety, stress, or depression about the war in Ukraine can subscribe to Hope4Ukraine. People can receive advice and encouragement, through daily messages in one of four languages. These messages are helpful in developing healthy personal coping skills and resiliency. Click here for more information.


Other information and resources

Recreation, transit, safety resources by the City of Winnipeg

Winnipeg residents, including Ukrainian individuals arriving under CUAET, are eligible to the following programs provided by the City of Winnipeg:

The Winnipeg Police Service prepared these informational sheets in English and in Ukrainian with advice about personal safety, and contacts for emergencies and to schedule a presentation.

The Winnipeg Public Library prepared these Welcome to the Library information sheets in English and in Ukrainian.

Resources for Educators

COVID-19 information in Ukrainian and Russian

Click here to find a regularly updated list of information and resources about COVID-19, vaccination, and prevention. All resources are by federal and provincial government sources unless otherwise noted.

  • COVID-19 factsheets by Metropolis Social Determinants of Health – includes 7 factsheets addressing topics like Omicron, boosters, testing, and child vaccination

Interpretation Services

CanTalk’s 24/7 interpretation services via phone are available for verifiable organizations in order to speak, and translate as needed, with those Ukrainian citizens and refugees arriving in Manitoba, from other areas of Canada, from Ukraine OR with those in countries surrounding Ukraine and in languages required. Please refer to their Offer of Language Assistance for more information and contact details.


  • The Province of Manitoba has put together factsheets for employers and Ukrainian arrivals, on employment opportunities for Ukrainian newcomers in Manitoba:
  • factsheet for employers
  • factsheet for newcomers (Ukrainian, English)

(new!) The Province of Manitoba is also hosting free employment information events. Visit the calendar and click the arrow beside the name of the month to see available sessions.

There are several job portals where Ukrainians can find employment, and employers can consider post job opportunities, including:

  • Jobs for Ukraine: The Federal Government maintains this page with job opportunities submitted by employers for Ukrainian Nationals.
  • Work in Manitoba: Work in Manitoba connects employers with skilled talent who wish to pursue a career in Manitoba.
  • Job Connections Portal: Economic Development Winnipeg’s Business Development team, YES! Winnipeg, added a section to their Job Connections Portal to connect Ukrainians with job opportunities submitted by employers.
  • Manitoba Start: Manitoba Start partners with employers to identify opportunities in many fields and industries. Check their job postings for opportunities for Ukrainian nationals.


MANSO is sharing these resources for information purposes only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information, but we are making every effort to only provide information produced by trusted sources. We also do not promote or endorse any additional services offered on a third-party website. The situation is very fluid, and information can change rapidly. Please refer to the Government of Canada website for the most up-to-date information.