- This event has passed.
Ally Training LGBT2SQ+ Newcomers
March 15 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Are you looking to create a safe, welcoming, and supportive environment for LGBT2SQ+ Newcomer community by becoming a better ally?
Then Rainbow Resource Centre’s Ally Training is what you are looking for! This one day experiential learning program is designed for individual and teams interested in developing and enhancing their knowledge and skills to support the LGBT2SQ+ community.
This training session is designed for service providers to build professional capacity working with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender LGBT2SQ+ newcomers, immigrants and refugees. LGBT2SQ+ newcomers face multiple barriers and experiences including stigma, trauma, violence, invisibility and internalized homophobia that can impact settlement and transition. An ally works to end this oppression by supporting and advocating for people who are stigmatized, discriminated, or treated unfairly because of who they are.
What will you learn?
- Education and training about LGBT2SQ+ awareness, issues, and resources
- Social and cultural barriers for the LGBT2SQ+ community
- Debunking myths and stereotypes of the LGBT2SQ+ community
- Understanding common issues and challenges faced by LGBT2SQ+ individuals
- Manifestations of homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, and heterosexism
- Understanding privilege and its usage as an Ally
- Other tools, strategies, and recommendations for positive changes at work
- The method of instruction will comprise of lecture, personal reflection and group discussion.
Please note: this is the same workshop as the one offered on November 9th, 2018. If you already participated, please do not register again.
The workshop is FREE of charge and spots are limited. Please contact Immaculate at email@example.com to register.