Sexuality Education Resource Centre Manitoba (SERC) is a community-based, non-profit, pro-choice organization. We are dedicated to providing inclusive, non-judgmental education about sexuality. With two Manitoba offices (Winnipeg & Brandon), we work with all groups of people, of every sexual orientation, gender, and place in life, along their individual sexual journey.
Aligned with our mission to promote sexual health through education, we offer targeted programs and services customized to the distinct needs of specific groups.
SERC has developed cultural brokering and customized workshops and resources, specifically geared towards newcomers to Canada, which discusses intergenerational communication in relation to sexuality, sexual health and sexual & reproductive rights in a friendly, accessible and non-judgemental manner.
We recently launched the SERC Training Institute, which offers comprehensive full-day training opportunities, webinars and lunch & learn style events to support service providers in Manitoba. Each draws on expertise, up-to-date research, evidence-based approaches and local resources to enhance knowledge, skills and awareness on sexuality issues.
We also offer education sessions for organizations and community groups on a variety of sexuality and reproductive health topics.
Special projects enable SERC to be innovative in testing new models, trying new approaches, and engaging new partners. Through these projects, we revitalize our work and quickly respond to emerging issues or trends. SERC’s ongoing projects include:
- Our Selves, Our Daughters which focuses on female genital cutting,
- Our Families Can Talk About Anything! focuses on Culture, Adaptation, Intergenerational Communication and Sexuality in Immigrant & Refugee Communities,
- Knowledge into Action, focuses on STBBI Prevention and support intervention and capacity building within Newcomer Communities.
- Teen Healthy Relationships Project (in partnership with Peaceful Village) provides after-school supports for newcomer youth and focusing on healthy relationships and violence prevention.
- Afro-Franco Project, focuses on enhancing awareness of STBBI prevention and healthy relationships among African francophone teens, university students, adults and community leaders.
- Safer Sex Supplies Distribution Project offers safer sex supplies for special events and to organizations that cannot afford to supply them when needed.
Let’s Talk Project in Brandon focuses on promoting healthy sexuality through education with both parents and youth.
LGBT2SQ+ Project in Brandon focuses on providing a more inclusive environment for sexual and gender diverse people through educational workshops and peer support groups.
For more information:
Winnipeg: (204) 982-7800
Brandon: (204) 727-0417